Thursday, August 11, 2011

Is CTN a good job....?

So this morning my recruiter (Navy) wanted me to come down to the officer and talk with him because his friend who works at MEPS pretty much gave him a rundown on what I have available (due to my ASVAB scores). Right now I have the IT rating but I have an option to switch into either the CTN, CTT, CTR or IS ratings. My recruiter said I am EXTREMELY lucky because all of these jobs are incredibly hard to get. I am just wondering which one would be best for me. After the Navy I want to work for the NSA, CIA, DOD (civilian), NRO, or one of the other three lettered Intel agencies doing work with satellite networking and dealing with intel coming in from satellites and making sure that it is coming in properly. I know it sounds like a boring job but its what I want to do. What rating would be best, my recruiter said that CTN's are like the spooks of the Navy. The way he described it was that CTN sailors were the ones who analyzed enemy intel by accessing their networks and made sure that our national cyber defense networks are secure. He said that they are the ones we dont see or hear but they do some of the most important jobs (he literally said "they are the SEALs of the Cryptologic community). The one thing that stood out though was that he said that they hardly go on ships and when they do its only for a few weeks then they are off. One of the reasons I chose the Navy over the Air Force was the opportunity to see the sea (I have a fascination with the ocean). I know that when a recruiter is trying to fill a slot in a certain rating he or she needs filled, they would be willing to say whatever it takes to get their potential recruit to sign the paper. Thats why I came here, I want to know if I should stick with IT, Go ahead with switching to CTN or get him to switch me to CTT or CTR? (and if you chose the last option, which rating would you chose and why would these be better than CTN or IT?)

No comments:

Post a Comment